Good morning. This text is an on-site model of our FirstFT e-newsletter. Signal as much as our Asia, Europe/Africa or Americas version to get it despatched straight to your inbox each weekday morning
Russia has launched a brand new barrage of missiles at targets throughout Ukraine, hobbling the nation’s electrical energy infrastructure simply days after withdrawing its forces from the strategically vital metropolis of Kherson.
The Ukrainian air drive mentioned greater than 90 missiles have been fired as a part of the offensive, which Kyiv mentioned was the most important every day fusillade because the Kremlin retaliated after final month’s destruction of a vital bridge linking Crimea to the Russian mainland.
The Russian assault got here the identical day Zelenskyy instructed fellow world leaders that whereas he was open to peace talks to finish the battle, he wouldn’t pause combating over winter. In a video deal with to the heads of the world’s largest economies, assembly at a G20 summit in Bali, Zelenskyy reiterated that Ukrainian borders have been inviolable and weren’t open to negotiation.
His feedback comply with ideas by some US officers, together with navy chief Normal Mark Milley, that winter might present a chance to start negotiations with Russia and that Ukraine would possibly by no means have the ability to expel Moscow’s forces from all its territory.
In neighbouring Poland, the federal government convened an emergency safety assembly on Tuesday night after two folks have been reportedly killed by a missile strike near Przewodów, a village close to the Ukraine border.
5 extra tales within the information
1. G20 leaders to agree draft communiqué rejecting ‘period of battle’ World leaders gathered in Bali plan to sentence threats to make use of nuclear weapons, reflecting rising international anxiousness round Russia’s battle towards Ukraine. The language relating to the battle and Moscow’s repeated use of nuclear rhetoric is stronger than western officers forecast.
Elsewhere at G20:
2. World investigators pounce on FTX The collapse of Sam Bankman-Fried’s crypto empire has sparked an unlimited international investigation, with dozens of authorities circling the corporate as legal professionals warn there might be 1mn collectors in its chapter continuing.
3. Goldman paid $12mn to silence misogyny claims A Goldman Sachs associate accused executives together with chief govt David Solomon of creating misogynistic feedback in a criticism that resulted within the Wall Avenue financial institution paying her a settlement totalling greater than $12mn, in accordance with these accustomed to the matter. Goldman paid the settlement in 2020 in an effort to maintain the allegations secret, the folks mentioned.
4. India makes an attempt to shift focus from coal at COP27 India is drawing help for its proposal for international locations to comply with the section down of all fossil fuels on the UN local weather summit, moderately than the narrower deal to section down coal that was struck on the final summit. The nation was blamed for weakening the ultimate coal settlement at COP26.
5. Weak yen places Japan’s financial system into reverse in third quarter Japan’s financial system noticed an sudden contraction for the primary time in a 12 months on the again of surging import payments within the third quarter, brought on by the yen’s plunge to multi-decade lows. GDP within the July to September interval shrank 1.2 per cent from the earlier 12 months.
Thanks to readers who voted in our ballot yesterday. Fifty-two per cent of respondents mentioned US-China relations will enhance on account of Xi and Biden’s assembly this week.
The day forward
Japan commerce steadiness information Commerce steadiness figures for October are due out right this moment. Within the first half of this fiscal 12 months, Japan’s commerce steadiness stood at a deficit — partly due to the weak yen. (Reuters)
Rishi Sunak meets Joe Biden in Bali On the G20 summit right this moment, the brand new British prime minister and US president will meet in individual for the primary time as stress grows to finalise the Northern Eire protocol. (Guardian)
Nasa’s scheduled launch of Artemis I check flight mission The spacecraft’s two-hour launch window begins at 1:04am ET/2:04pm HKT — topic to native unsettled climate. It’s mission is to journey across the Moon from the Kennedy Area Middle, however the longer-term plan is to create a everlasting Moon base to help missions to Mars. (Area.com, FT)
Be a part of leaders together with Singapore’s Minister of Commerce and Business at our Commodities Asia Summit in Singapore on November 23. You may also comply with alongside on-line. Register right here on your in individual or digital go.
What else we’re studying and watching
Singapore Airways’ being pregnant pivot Up till this 12 months, the airline’s feminine cabin crew have been fired once they turned pregnant, though maternity discrimination is towards Singapore legislation. Many hope that forthcoming anti-discrimination laws will probably be simpler in rooting out such practices.
Cracks within the US Treasury bond market As recession looms and most asset costs face a dramatic sell-off, the world’s most vital debt market is creaking as soon as once more. With the meltdown in UK gilts exposing the vulnerability of bond markets, can the US survive a wave of promoting?
Associated learn: Central bankers are to shift in direction of a extra gradual financial tightening, economists predict, as latest “jumbo” price strikes present indicators of taming inflation and officers acknowledge the rising menace of recession.
China’s offshore ‘police service stations’ spark European alarm Beijing denies the police abroad service stations have any position in policing, although the Qingtian police named “overseas police work” as one perform of amenities in Barcelona and Budapest. The Netherlands has ordered two such amenities closed, and the UK safety minister known as reviews of undeclared Chinese language police stations “extraordinarily regarding”.
Tech lay-offs train us a lesson in regards to the ‘battle for expertise’ As soon as upon a time, younger graduates thought they’d a option to make: they may grow to be wealthy however depressing in an funding financial institution or legislation agency, or they may stay with out an enormous wage however do one thing extra enjoyable. Then the massive expertise firms got here alongside, writes Sarah O’Connor.
Overseas firms undertake ‘China for China’ technique Quite than depend on Chinese language factories to provide items which can be in the end bought elsewhere, some companies are adopting a technique that goals to attract on deeper analysis and growth amenities within the nation to make merchandise for an unlimited, rising home market.
HTSI has rounded up 5 tiny devices with superpowers, together with a pen-sized translator that doubles as a scanner and a “no-faff” crowdfunded timer.
Thanks for studying and bear in mind you’ll be able to add FirstFT to myFT. You may also elect to obtain a FirstFT push notification each morning on the app. Ship your suggestions and suggestions to [email protected]
Really helpful newsletters for you
The Local weather Graphic: Defined — Understanding a very powerful local weather information of the week. Join right here
Lengthy Story Brief — The largest tales and finest reads in a single sensible electronic mail. Join right here